February 9, 2012
Nominate now for the sixth annual Mirror Awards competition for excellence in media industry reporting. Nomination deadline has been extended to Wednesday, Feb. 15. Anyone can nominate, and there is no fee to enter. The awards, sponsored by Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, carry a cash prize.
Award categories include:
* Best Single Article, Traditional/Legacy Media ($1,000 prize)
* Best Single Article, Digital Media ($1,000 prize)
* Best Profile, Traditional/Legacy Media ($1,000 prize)
* Best Profile, Digital Media ($1,000 prize)
* Best Commentary, Traditional/Legacy Media ($1,000 prize)
* Best Commentary, Digital Media ($1,000 prize)
* John M. Higgins Award for Best In-Depth/Enterprise Reporting ($5,000 prize)
Detailed submission guidelines for each award are available at online.
The competition is open to anyone who conducts reporting, commentary or criticism of the media industries in a format intended for a mass audience. Eligible work includes print, broadcast and online editorial content focusing on the development or distribution of news and entertainment. All entries must have been published or broadcast between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2011.
Entries are evaluated based on three criteria: Excellence of craft; framing of the issue; and appropriateness for the intended audience. Winners are chosen by a group of journalists and journalism educators. An awards ceremony will be held in June 2012 in New York City.
The Mirror Awards are the most important awards for recognizing excellence in media industry reporting. Established by the Newhouse School in 2006, the awards honor the reporters, editors and teams of writers who hold a mirror to their own industry for the public’s benefit.