Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications today announced the finalists in the sixth annual Mirror Awardscompetition honoring excellence in media industry reporting. The competition drew over 300 entries. Winners will be announced at a June 13 awards ceremony in New York.
Finalists, chosen by a group of journalists and journalism educators, are:
Best Single Article, Traditional/Legacy Media
Best Single Article, Digital Media
Best Profile, Traditional/Legacy Media
Best Profile, Digital Media
Best Commentary, Traditional/Legacy Media
- Eric Alterman (The Nation)
- Syed Irfan Ashraf (The DAWN Media Group/Individualland)
- John Gapper (Financial Times)
- Anna Holmes (The New York Times, The Washington Post)
Best Commentary, Digital Media
- Gavin Polone (Vulture/New York Magazine)
- Rem Rieder (American Journalism Review)
- Jack Shafer (Reuters Blog)
- Mallary Jean Tenore (Poynter)
- Rebecca Traister (Salon, New York Times Magazine)
John M. Higgins Award for Best In-Depth/Enterprise Reporting
- Jodi Enda, “The Bloomberg Juggernaut” (American Journalism Review)
- On The Media Team: Brooke Gladstone, Bob Garfield, Katya Rogers, Nazanin Rafsanjani, Jamison York, Mike Vuolo, Sarah Abdurrahman, PJ Vogt, Alex Goldman, “Does NPR Have a Liberal Bias?” (NPR/On The Media)
- Peter Maass, “The Toppling” (The New Yorker and ProPublica)
- Seth Mnookin, “The Kingdom and the Paywall” (New York Magazine)
- Brian Rosenthal, “In Focus: Investigative Journalism students used questionably ethical reporting tactics, sources say” and “‘Dismantling of a legacy’: The rise and fall of David Protess” (The Daily Northwestern)
The awards ceremony will be held from 11:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at The Plaza Hotel, Fifth Avenue at Central Park South, New York City. CNN’s Anderson Cooper will emcee the event. Information about sponsorship levels and registration is available online. Follow on Twitter via #Mirrors12.
The Mirror Awards, established by the Newhouse School in 2006, honor the reporters, editors and teams of writers who hold a mirror to their own industry for the public’s benefit.
For more information, contact Jean Brooks at (315) 443-5711 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For press inquiries, contact Wendy Loughlin at (315) 443-2785 or email@example.com.