The Mirror Awards are the most important awards for honoring excellence in media industry reporting. Established by Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, the awards honor the reporters, editors and teams of writers who hold a mirror to their own industry for the public’s benefit.
Award categories include:
• Best Single Article, Traditional/Legacy Media ($1,000)
• Best Single Article, Digital Media ($1,000)
• Best Profile, Traditional/Legacy Media ($1,000)
• Best Profile, Digital Media ($1,000)
• Best Commentary, Traditional/Legacy Media ($1,000)
• Best Commentary, Digital Media ($1,000)
• John M. Higgins Award for Best In-Depth/Enterprise Reporting ($5,000)
The competition is open to anyone who conducts reporting, commentary or criticism of the media industries. Eligible work includes print, broadcast and online editorial content focusing on the development or distribution of news and entertainment.
Entries are evaluated based on excellence of craft, framing of the issue and appropriateness for the intended audience. Winners are chosen by a group of journalists and journalism educators.
Winners and finalists are honored at an awards luncheon, held each June in New York City.